For the latest information regarding current weather advisories, please visit

Home » Student Health Services » Student Health Insurance FAQS

Student Health Insurance FAQS

Which students are mandated to have a health insurance plan?
The following groups of Georgia Regents University students are required to have health insurance per the Georgia Board of Regents and GRU policies.
       Undergraduate and Graduate International Students holding “F” or “J” visa status
       Graduate Students receiving Full-time tuition waivers
       Graduate Students receiving fellowships that fully fund their tuition
       Graduate and undergraduate students enrolled in programs that require proof of health insurance as determined by GRU.

       Students enrolled in programs on the Health Sciences campus


Is there a voluntary plan available for students to purchase if they are not mandated to have health insurance?

Yes, to enroll in the voluntary plan, please go to


What if I am already insured under another health insurance plan?

If you already have health insurance and want to continue coverage under your current plan, you will need to complete a waiver form. Go to the section tab “Waiver Application” under Student Insurance for instructions on completing your application. If your current insurance plan meets the coverage requirements established by the Board of Regents, then a waiver will be approved. If your waiver application is approved, a credit for the insurance premium will be posted to your POUNCE account. If your waiver application is denied, you can appeal the decision by contacting Student Health Services (SHS) at 706-721-3448.


When do I have to apply for an insurance waiver?

There are specific times each semester when the waiver application process opens and closes. Please refer to the “Waiver Application” section of our website. 


If I waive GRU-Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP), can I still use the Student Health Services (SHS)?

Yes, all GRU students who are enrolled are automatically billed a semester fee for SHS and can be receive services at SHS. Active students that are in-between semesters and on-line students can receive services and should contact SHS for a fee schedule.


When does GRU-SHIP coverage begin and end?

GRU-SHIP is an annual policy and the premium is billed in two installments (Fall and Spring/Summer).  Coverage begins August 1 and ends July 31.


Can I enroll in GRU-SHIP outside the enrollment period?

Yes, contact the Student Health office at 707-721-3448 to discuss your options.


Can I cancel my GRU-SHIP enrollment?

 If you do not have an approved waiver, you are required to maintain this insurance policy based on the GRU insurance requirements as mentioned previously.


If I am enrolled in GRU-SHIP can I go to any doctor that I want?

GRU Student Health Services is the primary care provider for students enrolled in GRU-SHIP.  You must see a provider at SHS to obtain a referral when you need outside medical attention.

A SHS referral is not required under the following conditions:
1-     Medical emergency. The student must return to SHC for necessary follow-up care.
2-     When SHS is closed.
3-     Medical care received when the student is more than 30 miles from campus
4-     Medical care when a student is no longer eligible for services at SHS
5-     Maternity, obstetrical and gynecological care
6-     Mental illness treatment and substance use disorder treatment

Should you need a service not offered at SHS, your clinician will refer you to an off-campus health care provider. Your clinician may suggest a specific provider, or you can choose a provider. Going to an in-network provider insures the least out-of-pocket costs. In-network providers for the GRU SHIP can be located by going to


Is there a deductible? a copay? a co-insurance? a limit to my out-of-pocket payments? maximum per policy year?  

Please refer to the “Health Insurance Benefits” section of our website


Are there services that the GRU SHIP does not cover?

Yes, some conditions and/or services are not covered.  The Schedule of Benefits and Exclusions can be found in the plan brochure at


What do I do if I have to go to the emergency room?

In the event of an emergency, go immediately to the nearest medical facility for treatment.

 Any follow-up care that is provided outside of SHS requires a referral. The deductible and co-insurance will apply for emergency services.


If I am away from campus, how do I obtain medical care?

If you are more than 30 miles away from campus, you are not required to go to SHS and may visit any provider.  A referral is not necessary, but it is recommended that you visit an in-network provider.  In-network providers for the GRU SHIP can be located by going to GRU-SHIP provides worldwide coverage.  If you require medical care outside the US please refer to the “Travel Plan” section on our website. .Please take your insurance card with you while traveling.


How do I obtain a GRU-SHIP insurance card?

Go to the link below to set up your account and print your insurance card. Insurance cards are no longer mailed to you.


Can my spouse and dependents enroll in GRU-SHIP?

Eligible dependents are the spouse or dependent children of the covered student under age 26. To enroll your spouse or dependents, please go to


How do I obtain a brochure describing GRU-SHIP coverage?

For a complete brochure go to


Does GRU-SHIP provide a prescription drug benefit?

Yes, the plan has a prescription drug benefit. The schedule of prescription benefits can be found in the plan brochure at


Who do I contact concerning a denial of a claim by the SHIP for services received at SHS?

Contact Student Health Services at 706-721-3448 for any questions concerning claims.


Does GRU-SHIP provide dental coverage?

GRU-SHIP does not provide routine dental coverage. There are benefits for removal of impacted wisdom teeth and injury to sound, natural teeth. See the plan benefits at


Loading Events...


Transparent Panel for Emergency Use