Medical Student Research in Mental Health
Mentor: Lara Stepleman, PhD
- Rollock, M., Stepleman, L. M., Hudson, W., Casillas, R., Rutter-Goodworth, M.*, & Williams, M. J. (2011, May).Sexual satisfaction in MS: Frequency verses quality of sex communication. Meeting of the Consortium of Multiple Sclerosis Centers, Montreal. Quebec.
- Stepleman, L., Stutts, L., Hudson, W., Rutter, M.-C., & Williams, M. (2010, October).Physician-patient communication about sexual functioning. 26th Congress of the European Committee for Treatment and Research in Multiple Sclerosis, Gothenburg, Sweden.
- Rutter, M.-C., Stepleman, L. M., Hibbard, J., Johns, L. Wright, D., Hughes, M., & Williams, M. (2010, October).Variables associated with patient activation in persons with multiple sclerosis. 26th Congress of the European Committee for Treatment and Research in Multiple Sclerosis, Gothenburg, Sweden.
- Stepleman, L. M. Rutter, M., Hibbard, J., Johns, L., Wright, D. E., & Hughes, M.D. (2010). Validation of the Patient Activation Measure (PAM) in a Multiple Sclerosis Clinic Sample and Implications for Care. Disability & Rehabilitation, Vol. 32, No. 19: 1558-1567.
Mentor: Brian Miller, MD
- Culpepper N, Miller BJ , Alaraisanen A, Miettunen J, Jarvelin MR, Koponen H, Rasanen P, Isohanni M, Kirkpatrick B. Paternal Age and Clinical Features in Nonaffective Psychosis. Presented at 2010 MCG Dean's Summer Research Symposium.
Mentor: Adriana Foster, MD
- Poster presentations at the Institute of Psychiatric Services , Boston, MA, Oct 2010:
"Medical Students' Attitudes towards People with Mental Illness Before and After Completion of a Four Week Core Psychiatry Clerkship"
Authors: Joshua Rothstein, MS, MJ Albright, MD, Amy House, PhD, Denise Noseworthy, CPS*, Gareth Fenley, MSW, CPS, Adriana Foster, MD
"Does Service Utilization Match Distribution of Mental Illness in an Inner City Homeless Population? A Helping Hands Grant Project Report"
Authors: Jessica Lee, BS, Erin Dainer, MD, Phillip Murray, MD, Kathryn Echols BS, Anna Maria Moise BS, BA, Philip Neiheisel, Gareth Fenley, MSW, Certified Peer Specialist, Adriana Foster, MD
- Poster Presentation at ADMSEP national meeting, June 2010, Jackson Hole, WY:
"Evaluation of Medical Student Interaction with a Bipolar Virtual Patient Scenario Written by a Peer Support Specialist - a Pilot Study"
Authors: Adriana Foster, Denise Noseworthy, Scott Lind, Shah H, Benjamin Lok, Joon Chuah, Brent Rossen.
- Poster presented at National Outreach Conference in Raleigh, NC, October 2010:
"Students partner with the community to screen homeless mentally ill"
Authors: Diana Murro, Luke Smith, James Gable, Phillip Murray, Gareth Fenley, Peter Buckley, Adriana Foster.
- Hevil Shah, Brent Rossen, Benjamin Lok, Amy House, Scott Lind, and Adriana Foster' s abstract titled: A Pilot Study to Evaluate the Use of an Interactive Virtual Patient with Depression to Teach History-Taking Skills in a Psychiatry Clerkship, Published in Proceedings of the 2009 Annual Meeting of the Association of Directors of Medical Student Education in Psychiatry Teaching and Learning in medicine, 22(2), 1560163, 2010.
- Foster, A, Noseworthy, D, Londino, D, Lind SD, Shah H, Rossen B, Chuah J, Lok B, The Use of Virtual patients in an Integrated Psychiatry-Neuroanatomy Course and a Psychiatry Clerkship, Proceedings of the 2010 Annual Meeting of the Association of Directors of Medical Student Education in Psychiatry Teaching and Learning in medicine, 23(1), 101.
- Gable, J, Stirewalt E, Murro D, Smith L, Buckley J, Foster A, Students Partner with the Community to Screen Homeless Mentally Ill, A poster to be presented at the International Congress for Schizophrenia Research in Colorado Springs, Colorado, April 2011.
- Teen girls who live in rural areas are more likely than their male counterparts to have undiagnosed asthma and are at a higher risk of depression, researchers at the Medical College of Georgia say.
- On March 3, area IHOP restaurants will once again offer a free stack of pancakes to guests for National Pancake Day - and raise money for the Children's Hospital of Georgia.
- The Georgia Regents University Cancer Center has launched an initiative seeking to reduce the burden of cancer among minority and underserved populations in Georgia.