Registration Fee: 50.00
Dr. Marc Lamont Hill
Wednesday Sept. 9, 2015, 8:30 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Augusta Marriott at the Convention Center
2 10th Street, Augusta, GA 30901
"Connecting Awareness to Action"
Georgia Regents University 5th Annual Diversity Summit
8:30 - 4:00 Marriott Convention Center, Augusta GA
We have a bold theme this year and as noted by the title, we hope attendees will walk away with greater awareness of the issues presented at the summit and will be empowered to enact changes in their environments with the practical tools and strategies learned at the summit.
The Morning plenary speaker is the Gen Y thought leader, Crystal Kadakia, an expert on workplace generational issues; she will share some techniques that can build bridges between folks and improve our communication skills. Our keynote speaker Dr. Marc Lamont Hill, a leading intellectual voice on Huffpost Live, BET News and CNN, takes the focus into the broader social realm to discuss building community in times of chaos. The break out sessions address three sub-themes:
- Academic: In the morning session we focus on how to build and sustain student diversity in STEM with Dr. Angela Birkes-Grier of LSAMP. In the afternoon we join Dr. Kim Case to explore
and develop strategies to create an inclusive classroom environment.
- Leadership: Our first session brings business leaders Mr. Brock Daniels, Ms. Monique Wynn and
Ms. Kim Writer together on a panel addressing the importance of diversity in the workplace.
In the second session Dr. Steve Olson discusses the ethics of inclusion and provides practical strategies for the workplace.
- Community: 2015 marks the 45th Anniversary of the Augusta Race Riots and thus in the morning we present "The SteeringCommittee", a documentary of the times by Hodges Usry along with some who were actually there at the time. In the afternoon Ms. Laurie Ott will moderate a panel discussion with Dr. Mallory Millender, Sheriff Richard Roundtree and Dr. Stephanie McClure as they explore the struggle for civic equity.
The purpose of the summit is to create inclusion excellence by:
- Engaging our community in meaningful dialogue.
- Building and leveraging our partnerships.
- Creating a framework to important action steps.