The Counseling Center adheres to strict confidentiality guidelines set by each professionals national and state ethical codes and guidelines. All conversations, both by telephone and in person, shall be confidential. Communications will be made by phone and/or email (unless otherwise requested by the client). Any and all records kept by Counseling Center staff relating to clients (18 years of age, or older) shall be kept confidential, except in these cases:
1. When the client is determined to be a threat to the health and safety of self or another, including abuse of a child, elder or disabled adult. Counselors are required by law to take protective actions if it is determined that a clients personal safety or the safety of another person is at risk. This may include notifying family members or other emergency contacts, contacting the police, seeking hospitalization for the client, notifying potential victims of harm or contacting others who can help provide protection. In the case of abuse, counselors are required by law to notify the appropriate state agency. If any of these situations occur, every effort will be made by your counselor to fully discuss the situation with you before taking any action.
2. When documents are court ordered to be released to the property of the court.
3. When Counseling Center professional staff/interns discuss case material for the purpose of consultation, supervision, or treatment planning.
4. When the client has given consent to share specified information with identified persons.
5. Clients under age 18 must have a parent/guardian sign the consent for services form before treatment begins.
- Researchers have now found that the gene DNMT1 is essential to two different groups of cells in women.
- Jennifer Lopez is joining Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals as an official spokesperson to encourage supporters to “Put Your Money Where the Miracles Are.”
- Selfless, optimistic, and nurturing are a few of the sentiments used to describe Jenny Dickson, this year’s winner of the John F. Beard Award for Compassionate Care.