Counseling appointments may be scheduled by calling 706-737-1471 or by visiting the office located in the Physical Plant building, 2nd Floor during regular business hours of Monday through Friday 8:00AM to 5:00PM. Evening appointments may be requested on an individual basis.
Individual counseling appointments are available for academic, career or personal concerns. Sometimes clients find that their issues involve more than one or all three of these areas. Free counseling services are available to currently enrolled GRU students. Please note students must present a valid Student ID when attending appointments to verify student enrollment. The Counseling Center uses a brief counseling model for short term counseling. Brief counseling is often effective for common issues faced by college students and employees, and using this model allows us to serve a greater number of clients with our available resources. Although most clients attend approximately 4 to 5 counseling sessions, the Center provides up to 12 individual, 50 minute sessions per 12 month period.
Some clients may be better served by an off-campus referral to address more long-term, intensive counseling needs or specialized psychiatric concerns. Clients identified as needing a referral will be assisted with locating an appropriate off-campus mental health provider.
Counseling policies described on this page do not apply to the Alumni Career Counseling Program. Click here for information about the Alumni Career Counseling Program.
The first appointment at the Counseling Center is considered an intake interview where you will meet with one of the Center's counselors to discuss the problem that led you to seek counseling, gather background information, assess your needs and determine an appropriate course of action that best meets your needs. Sometimes this process may be extended into a 2nd appointment if additional information is needed to determine next steps. At the conclusion of the intake interview, you and the counselor will discuss treatment options. These options may include continuing short-term therapy with the same counselor or a referral to another counselor in the Center, depending on scheduling availability or other issues related to areas of expertise. Another option may include being referred to an off-campus provider to better meet your counseling needs. The counselor who meets with you will answer questions and assist you through this process.
Please follow the directions below when completing your New Client Form using one of the following options. If you have any questions, please call the front office at 706-737-1471.
You have several options for completion of your New Client Form:
1. Print out the PDF form, fill it in by hand prior to your appointment and bring it with you on the day of your appointment.
2. Fill in the PDF form online prior to your appointment, print it out, and bring it with you on the day of your appointment.
3. Pick up the New Client Form at the Counseling Center, fill it out in advance of your appointment and bring it with you on the day of your appointment.
4. Fill out a hardcopy of the New Client Form at the Counseling Center on the day of your appointment, arriving at least 30 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment to complete the form.
The New Client Form can be found here.
IMPORTANT: The New Client Form must be completed prior to your scheduled appointment time. If you choose not to complete it prior to your appointment time, you must arrive 30 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment time to complete the New Client Form in the office. If you arrive less than 30 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment time, you risk having your appointment rescheduled. If you are unable to arrive 30 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment time for your first counseling appointment, you may fill out the New Client Form prior to arriving or call the front office at 706-737-1471 to reschedule your appointment.
Please be sure to secure your New Client Form if you complete it prior to arriving for your appointment as the information on it may be private and sensitive. Also, please be sure to bring your current, validated Student ID with you to your first appointment to verify your enrollment. Students without a current Student ID will be rescheduled.
Appointment Cancellations/Late Arrivals
If you need to cancel your appointment, please give us at least 24 hours notice so that we may reschedule you and utilize the time for other clients. Clients are responsible for rescheduling missed or cancelled appointments. Clients who miss more than 3 appointments per semester may lose eligibility for services. If you are more than 15 minutes late for an appointment, the Center reserves the right to reschedule your appointment.
- Dr. Ayman Al-Hendy, an obstetrician-gynecologist and molecular biologist, has received two top honors from the Society for Reproductive Investigation.
- The College of Allied Health Sciences will offer a new doctoral degree in applied health sciences – the first program of its kind in the University System of Georgia.
- An acoustic performance by country music’s Josh Turner brought in nearly $45,000 to help equip the Family Y’s Camp Lakeside to serve Children’s Hospital of Georgia patients.