Alumni Career Counseling Program
Who is eligible?
Graduates of Augusta State University, Georgia Health Sciences University, Medical College of Georgia and Augusta College.
What services are available?
Up to three individual career counseling sessions are available by appointment. The 3rd appointment is an optional follow up session.
Career assessment instruments are used in conjunction with individual career counseling sessions to assist in identifying personality preferences and career options. Instruments utilized are the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator and Strong Interest Inventory. At least 2 individual counseling sessions are required to administer assessments and interpret results.
What can I expect to happen at the career counseling sessions?
- 1st Appointment - Includes an intake interview lasting approximately 1 hour. Following the appointment, you will need to complete the online career tests within a few days of your appointment. Testing usually takes about an hour and can be completed at any computer with internet access.
- 2nd Appointment - You will receive a comprehensive career packet personalized for you that includes your career test results. Your counselor will provide an interpretation of your test results, answer your questions, and offer suggestions for further career exploration.
- 3rd Appointment (optional) - A third appointment gives you the opportunity to follow up with your counselor.
What are the costs?
Cost for the full package, including 3 individual career counseling appointments, career assessments, and a test result packet, is $99. We do not offer parts of the package separately.
Current GRU Alumni Association members will receive a 10% off discount. For more information about joining the Alumni Association, click here.
Fees are non-refundable and full payment is expected upon arrival for first appointment with no exceptions. Make checks or money orders payable to Georgia Regents University.
Why is there a fee charge?
The mission of the Counseling Center is to provide free counseling services to currently enrolled students. The fee schedule is necessary to offset expenses for purchasing and scoring career assessments and other costs taken on by the Center for this service. Very few private agencies in the Augusta community provide career counseling and career testing and none without a charge. We are very confident that our prices are extremely competitive with other offices and welcome you to make price comparisons. We believe that this program will be very helpful for our alumni graduates, and we are offering these services at the most affordable price possible that allows us to operate within our current budget.
How do I get started?
Call (706-737-1471) or visit the Counseling Center to make an appointment. Alums should be prepared to give your student ID # or a Social Security # or Date of Birth to verify alumni status.
What if I cannot get an appointment immediately after I contact the Center?
We are glad to provide this service but must do so in addition to making our current students top priority. Therefore, it may be necessary to limit the number of alumni clients served during a particularly busy semester. If this occurs, we will be happy to put your name on our waiting list and promptly notify you of the next available appointment.
Appointment Cancellations/Late Arrivals
If you need to cancel your appointment, please give us at least 24 hours notice so that we may reschedule your appointment and utilize that session time for other clients. Clients are responsible for rescheduling missed or cancelled appointments. Clients who miss more than 3 appointments per semester may lose eligibility for services. If you are more than 15 minutes late for an appointment, the Center reserves the right to reschedule your appointment.
- Children’s Hospital of Georgia patient Emma Rhae Taylor has been named the 2013 Georgia Champion by the Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals
- Children’s Hospital of Georgia will provide free asthma screenings and education from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 7 at the Kroc Center.
- 88.3 WAFJ is collecting toys in an effort to help bring comfort to the patients treated at Children’s Hospital of Georgia each year.